The inspiration for this event came about in May of 2005, with the birth of Thomas “Bo” Boyce Lynch, who was born with a rare seizure disorder. He spent the first two months of his life in the Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) supported Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the Baptist St. Anthony’s Hospital of Amarillo.
Inspired by the compassion of the CMN telethon and the amazing impact CMN was
able to make in their lives, the Lynches and their friends, through a letter writing campaign, sought sponsorship to participate in a charity triathlon in McKinney, Texas, raising just over $23,000 for CMN of Amarillo.
Motivated by their efforts, CMN board members and volunteers have worked tirelessly to provide Amarillo and the Panhandle community with a similar event: The Lake Tanglewood: Tri to Make a Difference. 2006 marked the first local event with more than $33,000 raised, and the rest, as they say, is history. Proceeds raised from this event benefit the Panhandle’s sick and needy children.
Bringing the Triathlon home to Lake Tanglewood allowed our community as well as local businesses to participate in this faith-inspiring event. To date, the Tri To Make A Difference has raised over $1,200,000 for CMN!
Learn more about the triathlon:
- To provide grants for children and their families in need of medications, outstanding medical bills, specialized medical equipment, and other healthcare needs.
- Raise awareness and funds for the Children’s Miracle Network.
- Increase the number of individuals who support and volunteer for the Children’s Miracle Network.
- Improve the safety and quality of life for the residents of Lake Tanglewood by providing an opportunity for racers and spectators to support the Tanglewood Volunteer Fire Department through tips and additional donations during our cookout celebration.
- Promote physical health and fitness while raising a sense of community in Amarillo and surrounding areas.
- Promote the sports of triathlon, swimming, cycling, and running in the Texas Panhandle.